Friday, August 25, 2006

Sunset from Nandi Hills


60 kms north of Bangalore is the summer resort called Nandi Hills. Also known as Nandidurga, it was one of the summer retreats of Tipu Sultan. Nandi Hills was popular with the British too who built bungalows and laid out gardens here.
Nandidurg was traditionally held impregnable, and its storming by
Lord Cornwallis in 1791 was one of the most notable incidents of the first war against Tipu Sultan of Mysore. It was formerly a favorite resort for British Raj officials during the hot season. Francis Cunningham built the summer residence here for Sir Mark Cubbon.
Today of course, it's a hot favourite among Bangaloreans who find this an ideal get-away for weekends. The 1478-m high Nandi Hills is the originating point of some rivers and the forests surrounding the hills, abound with wild animals. Bangalore.
Here, are two ancient temples, the Bhoganandeeswara temple at the foothills and the Yoganandeeswara hill temple.
 Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

~tanty~ Fri Aug 25, 02:05:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Awww ... this is awesome! Makes my mind wandering. Great shot Rajesh.

Patty Fri Aug 25, 03:10:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Rajesh, I don't have time to read every post here, but I have read a lot of them whenever I can. This is a very informative blog & I really love visiting & learning new things!

Gorgeous sunset photo!

Ones that most stood out to me: Bangles(a nice photo & post), Celebrating Raksha Bandhan(I have a brother, so I enjoyed learning about this), the annual flower show & the Recycling paper.

My mom has always recycled everything she could and goes to great lengths to get others to do so as well. I used to help her pick up tons of trash along the highway/roads. She has asked the hospital president/manager who lives in our neighborhood to start a recycling program at the hospital where she works, but they never have in all these years done so. It makes me sick to think of all the waste the huge hospital is making. My mom gets the people who work in the lab with her to call her whenever there are recyclable items(cardboard, paper) and she drives all the way to the hospital and back to pick them up and later drives them to a recycling place just so they get recycled. Some would say this is a waste of gas/money/time, but I think helping the world we live in is worth it. I just wish more people cared!

Unknown Fri Aug 25, 04:56:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Thanks for the motivation, keeps me going!

Ryan Fri Aug 25, 08:07:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Very nice photo. I love the view.

Xico Rocha Sat Aug 26, 11:24:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Very nice sunset, very beautiful place.
Rocha

rauf Thu Aug 31, 05:18:00 AM GMT+5:30  

Ah Patty is here ! Been to Nandhi hills 30 years ago stayed there for 3 days, paid 10 rupees a day for a beautiful room. I loved the mornings more than the evenings. They were beginning to damage the place by coming up with some buildings.